Flood Insurance

insurance office

Most property insurance policies exclude loss or damage from flood, tidal water and mudflow.

Some of the worst floods in coastal areas are caused by big storm surges combined with high rainfall resulting in the sea spilling over onto land while inland rivers and urban drainage systems overflow into the streets and possibly into adjacent homes.  Historically some of the most significant damage to homes comes from the water backing up from sewers and storm drains due to rain, tidal surges, etc.

In hillside areas, loss damage due to mudflow is a serious issue.  Loss or damage due to mudflow is also excluded under most property policies.

If you feel you have an exposure we would strongly suggest that you consider a Flood Insurance Policy for your home or business. For residential properties, the maximum limits available under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) are Dwelling – $250,000, Contents – $100,000. For Commercial Properties, Building – $500,000, Contents – $500,000.

The NFIP rules require a 30 day waiting period before the policy goes into effect.

If you are interested please contact Shirleen Reed for a proposal at shirleen@doughertyins.com, (562) 424-1421.